Hajj is all about change and it brings about a psychological, spiritual and physical change in our lives. The decision to change is ours. As we bid farewell to the season of Hajj , we can either choose to change for the better or return to the state we were in before. Know that Hajj is not all about Zamzam and dates, its about change and replenishing the soul. Those who strive to change will continue to change even after Hajj is over.
“Don’t be like a wave that only makes a noise when it hits the beach. Be like the flood that changes the world every time it comes.”¹
Reflect on your actions, even better make a promise to yourself that now that Hajj is over, you will change one bad habit within yourself for the best. Everyday you live should be a careful look at the day we have left behind. Reflect on yourself each day, recognise your strengths and weaknesses, make your life more meaningful and focussed, and most importantly, to see whether or not we are creating an awareness of Allah in our lives.
“Reflection is the lamp of the heart; If it departs the will have no light” ²
Tips on how to replenish your soul:
- Recite more Quran as it contains the best guidance for man, Narrated Tariq:`Abdullah said, “The best talk is Allah’s Book (Qur’an), and the best guidance is the guidance of Muhammad.”³
- Increase the amount of Azkaar (Subhanallah, Alhamdulillah, Allahu Akbar) done during the day. Recite tasbeeh after every fardh Salah, and fill your day with the remembrance of Allah. Recite tasbeeh after every fardh Salah, and fill your day with the remembrance of Allah. The Messenger of Allah (ﷺ) said to me and to Fatimah (May Allah be pleased with her) (Ali’s wife and the Prophet’s daughter), “When you go to bed, recite: Takbir (Allahu Akbar) thirty-three times and Tasbih (Subhan-Allah) thirty-three times and Tahmid (Al-hamdu lillah) thirty-three times.” 4
- Muhasabah, which means to reflect. Before ending the day take a few minutes to reflect on your actions, the good and the bad; ask Allah for forgives for the bad and praise Allah for allowing you to do the good. Finally make an intention to carry out more good the day after.
- Intention and Sincerity, indeed all actions are according to your intentions, make a clear intention, to replenish your soul and rejuvenate your spirit in creating awareness of our creator.
- Sadqah- give, even if it is little. Give in the path of Allah and Insha’Allah, Allah will shower his blessings upon you.
“Oh you who have attained to faith! Be ever steadfast in your devotion to God, bearing witness to the truth in all equality: and never let hatred of anyone lead you into the sin of deviating from justice. Be just: this is closest to being God-concious. And remain conscious of God: verily, God is aware of all that you do” 5
- Muhammad Iqbal
- Imam al-hadad ‘The Book of Assistance’, chapter 9, page 31
- Sahih al-Bukhari 6098 chapter 78, Hadith 125
- Riyadh us Saliheen Book 16, Hadith 1459
- Suarh Al-Maidah, 8